Edguy & Avantasia Forums

Edguy, Forum F.A.Q and Announcements!

Have fun discussing the Defenders Of The Heavy
Metal Crown - Edguy!

Moderators: Gurther, Harmon, Thierry

Postby Harmon » 17 Jul 2004 11:04

Welcome to the boards. Below is a Frequently Asked Questions Guide for your reference & enjoyment. Make sure to read through it before posting any topics or replies here at the forums. Special thanks to Jebbel for the compiliation of the F.A.Q. and we'll be trying to update it on a regular basis.

This section deals with the most up-to-date information about the band and the boards and includes the following sections!

*Touring
*Touring through the USA 2004 / 05
*Festivals 2004
*The creation & meaning of the name Edguy
*The religious background
*The most frequently asked questions
*Merchandising (CD's & Shirts)
*Fanclub
*Avantasia Pt. III
*DVD plans
*Bonus tracks
*Singles
*Demos
*Fake- and coversongs
*The hidden part of Theater of salvation
*TV appeareances - past & future
*About the board itself - *THE RULES*

- Touring

The band does NOT decide where to tour, it's up to the local promoters to check the demand for a band and then book it, so please don't post threads "Please Edguys tour my country" 'cause they are useless. The band surely wants to play everywhere they have fans, but if they are not invited by a promoter there's not much to do.

Music is a business, and touring is a business as well. You don't tour for free, touring costs money and the more you go far, the more it costs.

A band plays a gig when it makes sense. When a band plays a gig?

- After an album is released, with the consequent tour;
- As a warm-up for "special" gigs, such as summer festivals or anniversary shows.

You understand that a possible warm-up gig can be held in a nearby country (for example, Edguy are playing in Holland); it makes absolutely no sense to hope that since Edguy are already playing in the XX country, they can play 2 days before in South Africa, Australia, Guatemala, Atlantis or any other far country.

So, WHEN EDGUY will play is determined from:

1) When a tour for a new studio album is being planned
2) If they happen to do warm-up gigs for summer festivals.

Now, the big question: WHERE?

Promoters set up a gig, not the band. Any band of the world would like, I think, to play in each and every country of the world, but THEY DO NOT MAKE THE CHOICE. Once EDGUY decide that in that given time of the year they'd like to tour, they send the word out to their tour manager, and the tour manager starts to ask out to the promoters if they want to book the band. Promoters INVITE the band to play, and they do so if they see, by album sales and general consensus, that they're gonna to EARN money by booking a show of the band. They won't even try if they think that 50 people will show up.

So the most likely way you're gonna get EDGUY in your hometown is calling or emailing your local promoters and telling them that there's an interest for the band to be booked. You are only one, of course. But to make a philosophic example, the ocean is made out of little drops. It will be anyway a more concrete step than any "EDGUY please come here" thread on this messageboards and guestbooks. Because as much as I'm sure that the band would love to play in every part of the world where they have fans, they just have no power to say "Let's go here and there" if a promoters does not show up and book them! Be sure that the band does know where they have fans and where it would be nice to play, and even if it's more than understandable that a fan wants to voice his personal desire of seeing his favorite band live, they really don't need a single fan enlightening them about the presence of a fanbase in this or that country.

I hope that I have enlightened the people who're not aware of how the touring business goes...... so that they won't be disappointed with the band if they make a (sadly, useless) topic "please tour my country" and then the band does not go there!

Thanx to Orodaran of the Blind Guardian forum for this nice text :D

For more touring infos visit the official homepage or Edguy's booking agency, ALL-ACCESS

- Are EDGUY planning to tour through the USA 2004 / 05?

Yes, three dates in the states have now been confirmed.

Jens wrote:I just heard some days ago from the American part of our record company that they found a promoter who’s willing to book a tour for us all across America, like twenty shows or something. But it’s just now being planned so what I can say is that if we get a chance to do a complete tour through the U.S. we will do everything to make it happen, but at the moment the only thing that is confirmed a hundred percent is the Prog Power festival.

btw., first gigs in Canada are already confirmed. For more info check the official homepage

- Are EDGUY going to play at Wacken, Summerbreeze etc 2004?

Nope, the only festival left in 2004 will be ProgpowerUSA in September. For more info check the official homepage or Edguy's booking agency, ALL-ACCESS

Perhaps next year they'll play these festivals mentioned above, but for sure not this year!

- Why is the band called EDGUY?

As they were in school they had a teacher called Edgar xxx. When they started their band, they made a joke out of his name and called themselves Edguy. Since then they've been considering to change their name (to something tr00e with "Steel" or "Thunder" :D), but in the end they've decided to keep the name and stay unique.

Tobi wrote:It doesn't really have a deeper meaning. When it came to choosing a name, we tried to find a name that no other band could choose. So we tried to find a word that was not existing. That was at school days and since we had a real stupid teacher called Edgar, we changed that into Edguy. Stupid, isn't it?!

- Are they a christian band?

Nope, they don't play "White metal" and don't have christian themes in their songs. Surely everyone of them has his own confession (or not, who cares), but surely they aren't a christian band.

Tobi wrote:I DO NOT REALLY KNOW IF EDGUY IS A CHRISTIAN BAND. WE ARE NOT POLITICAL AND WE ARE NOT RELIGIOUS, AT LEAST THERE IS NO KEY MESSAGE IN OUR SONGS TELLING YOU WHAT TO THINK IN TERMS OF ANYTHING. THAT BEING SAID, I AM PERSONALLY REALLY INTERESTED IN PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGION BECAUSE SOMEHOW THEY BELONG TOGETHER FOR ME. BUT WE ARE NEITHER STRYPER NOR DEICIDE, WE NEITHER THROW BIBLES INTO THE AUDIENCE, NOR DO WE SPREAD STUPID MESSAGES LIKE "GOD HAS GOT A SHORT PENIS" ;) I LIKE TO SING ABOUT THINGS I HAVE ON MY MIND AND OF COURSE ENTERTAIN AS WELL...

- The most frequently asked questions

Tobi
How do I become a great vocalist?

It's not a matter of getting taught. You should just sing, sing and sing. And if you got a bit of a talent and fun doing it, you will succeed. And high notes are not everything at all. Feeling and magic is the key in my opinion.

Jens
How long do you practise?

It depends. I never forced myself to reherse and prefer playing out of fun. This can be 5 hours a day or one week not at all.

Which equipment do you use?

I use Marshall JMP 1 Preamp, Digitech effects and a Marshall Power Amp.

Eggi

Where does your nickname come from?!? [Eggi]

It comes just from my surname. One of my school mates started to call me "Eggi" when we were just 10 or 11 years old. Somehow it became common after a very short time. Even a lot of teachers at school called me Eggi. I loved that very much!!! :)

Felix

Where does your nickname come from?!? [Alien Drum Bunny]

Tobi - of course - "gave" me that name, because I bought some funny shoes someday in Switzerland which look like bunny-feet.......
So that´s how all that Bunny-thing started.

But of course I´m honored that Tobi dedicated a whole song to me/that occassion/whatever j:)
None of the other band members have anything like that (and they´re wuite jealous! :D )

But the guys don´t call me that - at least not on a regular basis ;)

How did you become a member of Edguy and what did you do before?

I think the Edguys found me pretty soon after Dominik left the band. I have to admit I didn´t know the band back then. Tobi just called me one afternoon and asked me if I would be interested of playing in Edguy - so we scheduled a date and I orepared 3 Edguy songs which I played for them. I think Tobi got my number from our record company, because I knew and know Andreas (the boss of AFM) long before I ever met an Edguy. But I think it actually is hard to find good musicians here - as everywhere I guess. Before Edguy I played in some local bands - but nothing famous or special. I also was a member of a percussion-group back in music-school where I had drum lessons.

What is needed to become a good drummer?

Feeling for rhythm and timing would be good - and of course interest. Of course one should be patient as well - because learning and practicing isn´t always only fun (as always.....).

Does Felix like a good Fötzelek? :D

he still does ;)
I´ll try not to eat too much "fötzelek" ........it´s too healthy anyway.... :o

- Where to buy EDGUY stuff (CD's & T-Shirts!) online?

CD's
Check the almighty www.emp.de, www.amazon.com, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr

Some more good adresses are:

Nuclear Blast shop

AFM Records shop

The AFM shop is a bit cheaper than the Nuclear Blast shop...

Shirts / Longsleeves
Artworx (official Edguy shirt producer) has pretty good prices for the new(er) and older shirts! Check out BANDS >) EDGUY & AVANTASIA + SPECIAL SALE >) page 1, 2 and 3 for Avantasia & Edguy!

Meanwhile the new collection is available, too!

- What about the Fanclub?

To become a member of the SAVAGE UNION and receive the fanclub magazine check this link or contact directly Marion (mailto: EdguySavageUnion@aol.com or metalfreak@01019freenet.de)

- Will there be an AVANTASIA Pt. III?

Nope, even if you kill yourself there won't be something like a third part!

- Are they going to release a DVD?

Currently the Edguys are filming alot on tour with their camcorders to get as much bonusmaterial as possible, but up till today no concrete plans were made. The earliest possible releasedate will be "somewhere next year"! So be patient....

Tobi wrote:MAYBE WE ARE GONNA DO IT SOON?! WHO KNOWS ;) WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT. I KNOW THAT THE WHOLE INDUSTRY IS WAITING FOR DVDS NOW, CAUSE THAT MARKET IS REALLY BOOMING. BUT I DO NOT WANNA PLEASE A MARKET AND THE WALLETS OF SOME COMPANY. WE SHOULD PLEASE YOU AND OURSELVES. SO WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT MOMENT TO DO SOMETHING SPECIAL AND NOT JUST A DVD FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING A DVD. THERE WILL BE ONE, SOMEDAY... I DO NOT KNOW WHEN, BUT WHEN IT WILL HAPPEN, BE SURE IT WILL BE SOMETHING SPECIAL. AND THAT TAKES TIME...

Jens wrote:Actually we are planning to film a DVD on this tour somewhere on the planet, so it’s just the plan existing that we will do a DVD but nobody knows where or when this will happen. But we are working hard on this; almost everybody in the band has bought himself a camcorder so whenever something has happened, either a TV appearance or concert show or signing sessions, whatever, everybody in the band is running around with camcorders to record bonus material for the DVD. So hopefully it will happen still this year and probably be released the beginning of next year. But as I said, there are only rough plans existing right now and nothing confirmed yet.

"Hellfire Club" is going to be re-released as a DVD Audio at 21.06.04, but it's only the normal Hellfire Club record mixed as 5.1 Dolby Surround Multichannel, playable in all DVD players / DVD Roms.

- The bonus tracks

Vain Glory Opera: (1998)
But here I am (Japan)

Theater Of Salvation: (1999)
For a trace of life (Japan)
Walk on fighting (Live - Japan)
Fairytale (Live - Japan)

The Savage Poetry: (2000)
The limited edition was released as a doubleCD, containing the original Savage Poetry as it was released in 1995.

Mandrake: (2001)
Wings of a dream 2001 (Re-recorded - Japan)

Burning Down The Opera: (2003)
Wake up the king (Japan)

Hellfire Club: (2004)
Children of steel (Re-recorded - Limited edition only)
Mysteria (feat. Mille Petrozza (Kreator) - Limited edition only)
Heavenward (Japan)

"Wings of a dream" and "Children of steel" are rerecorded songs, you can find them originally on Kingdom Of Madness ("Wings of a dream") and Edguy's second demotape ("Children of steel"). Furthermore "Wings of a dream 2001" was released on the "Painting On The Wall" and "La Marche des Gendarmes" singles, too!

"Heavenward" is the demoversion of "Navigator", with alternative lyrics and without the mighty choir!

- The singles

La Marche des Gendarmes (2001)
01. (CD-ROM video)
02. (CD-ROM video)
03. La Marche des Gendarmes
04. Wings of a dream 2001

Originally the bonus CD for the French limited edition of "Mandrake". Enhanced cardsleeve CD single!

Since Tobias is a fan of the French actor Louis DeFunès they wrote this song, containing the main theme of the movie "Les Gendarmes à Saint-Tropez". You can hear the melody at the end of "Babylon" on the live album, just before the last time the chorus begin (after the solo). Furthermore they play it on every show in France!

Painting On The Wall (2001)
01. Painting on the wall (Edit)
02. Golden dawn (Album version)
03. Wings of a dream 2001
04. Painting on the wall (Album version)

Track 1 has "La Marche des Gendarmes (Douliou-Douliou Saint-Tropez)" as a hidden track at its end.

Lavatory Love Machine (2004)
1. Lavatory Love Machine
2. Lavatory Love Machine (Accoustic version)
3. I´ll cry for you (EUROPE cover - Accoustic version)
4. Reach out (New ballad)
5. Lavatory Love Machine (Videoclip)

There is a limited edition digipack version available, too, but only in Germany. It's restricted to 3000 copies.

- The demos

In 1994 they released 2 demos:

Evil Minded
01. Evil minded
02. I hate you too
03. Midgets of Metal
04. Voices of the past

Children Of Steel
01. Final gate
02. Children of steel
03. Jester of the night
04. Loser
05. Das Reh

The lyrics from "Das Reh" were originally a poem from Heinz Erhard (RIP), a famous German comedian from the sixties. The whole band made finally together the song out of it :)

- Fake- and coversongs

There aren't many fake-songs to be found on the internet, but nevertheless I found one:

Edguy - The Savage Poetry - 10 - Promised Land.mp3

Since there doesn't exist a 10th song of "The Savage Poetry" don't waste time downloading it!

Fakesongs:
The promised land (Primal Fear)

Coversongs:
When they started their band they used to cover a lot of songs like "Summer of 69" (Bryan Adams), but on their records you find hardly any coversongs except

Hymn (Ultravox)

-What's the strange sound at the end of "Theater Of Salvation" ?

it's an imitated conversation between a man (the AFM Records boss) and his wife in German. You have to reverse the whole section with an audioprogram to hear it properly:

Mann: mehr Manu, Manu mehr, mehr und immer mehr, mehr Wurst und mehr Senf, Manu!

Frau: Aber Heiner, Heiner Heiner

Mann: Mehr Wuuuurst

Frau: Hallo Heiner, hier bringe ich Dir die Würstchen für Dich mit

Mann: Manuuuuu die schmeckt nich

Frau: Aber Heiner Du hast die Wurst doch sonst immer so gerne gegessen.

Mann: Mehr Senf mit meine Wurscht, mehr Senf mit dabeiiiii

Frau: Aber Heiner, Senf ist doch schädlich

Mann: Mehr Senf meine Wurscht, die Wurscht schmeckt niiiiiiiicht, mehr Seeeeeeeeenf, mehr Seeeeeeeenf, (unverständlicher Part 1), doooooooo

Frau: Aber heiner, die Wurst, die is doch, die is doch gut .... (unverständlicher Part 2) schmeckt....

Mann: Mehr Säääääänf, meine Wuuuuuuurscht, Wuuuurscht, Wuuuurscht, Wuuuurscht, Wurscht Wurscht Wuuuurscht, Wuuurscht, immer mehr Wuuurscht und immer mit mehr, mehr Senf mit dabei, vor die Wurscht, mehr Senf dabei, mehr, sach ich ma die Fischlein hallo, mehr Senf, mehr Wurst, mehr Wurst mit mehr Senf, mehr Manu, Manu mehr, mehr und immer mehr, mehr Wurst und mehr Senf, Manu....

Frau: Aber Heiner, Heiner Heiner

Mann: Mehr Wuuuurst

Tobi: One.... two.... one.... two... äh... three four!

overall it's about WURST (sausage) and SENF (mustard) - the man wants mustard for the sausage, the wife refuses to give it to him and so on - really senseless but nevertheless funny ;)

- TV appeareances - past & future

Edguy appeared in several german TV shows in early 2004 to promote their EP "King of Fools" and the album "Hellfire Club". Besides some regional shows there were also 2 big shows, the "Chart Show" (PRO 7) and "Rockpalast" (WDR). While they played only one song at the Chart Show (King of Fools, first time half-playback second time full-playback), the Rockpalast was a full concert which is going to be broadcasted once again on SUNDAY 18.07.2004 3.45am on WDR (but this time in full lenght). Besides the band was slated once again to appear on the Pro7 MC Chartshow on SATURDAY 19.06.2004 6.00pm to present their new single "Lavatory Love Machine"

The complete setlist for the ROCKPALAST show is:

01. Tears Of A Mandrake
02. Fallen Angels
03. Lavatory Love Machine
04. Painting On The Wall
05. Land Of The Miracle
06. King Of Fools
07. Save Us Now
08. Scarlet Rose
09. Avantasia
10. Out Of Control

- About the board itself - *THE RULES*

There are two admins around here, Harmon and Wei - if you have any questions feel free to post them in this section! If your question remains unanswered (what won't happen ;)) don't refuse to send the admins a pm!

Please speak English. This is the language we all understand so don't make your first post speaking in Spanish, German or Dutch :P The other point we ask this of you all is the fact that future moderators must be able to moderate their forums. If a post is in a language they don't understand that can be difficult to do; thanks for the understanding and if you have any comments or concerns don’t hesitate to let an administrator know. Post in English - it's just that simple

Don't spam! We're in the process of adding discussion links from the index page of the Edguy site directly to topics here at the Edguy forum. The point of this is of course to bring more visitors to the forums. I can't very well attract people's attention if the topics aren't Edguy related in the least. If you want an example of what I'm talking about just head over to the main Edguy page...

Repetitive Topics - Before you make a post have a look through the topics or use the search function to make sure that there isn't already a thread discussing what you're about to post. If there is already one, get in there and get to discussing. Posting on older topics will not only bring them back to life, but will also keep the admins from having to delete the repetitive posts that are posted. Simple enough?

Housecleaning - Administrators occasionally will search through the forums and be deleting posts that we deem necessary to be deleted. Of course, we want to keep these deletions as few as possible as to preserve your invaluable rank status. (don't worry...we're thinking about you) Paying attention to this post when you make a post will help in keeping your topics & posts alive and well!

Private Messages - if you're a user of the Private Messages service on the forums please be considerate and delete any and all messages that you deem old or outdated. The less garbage we have floating around in the database the better the forums run for the all of us. Keep in mind, private messages aren't meant to be like e-mail, but just a quick way to say "hi" when you don't want all of us other Savages to see! If you have questions, simply ask.

The Edguys' Participation - as many of you know the past months have seen four of the edguys answer your questions here at the forum. This is planned to be continued, but surely it won't happen 'til the tour is over, so stay patient :) if there'll be another question session don't forget to read the rules first.
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby Edguylover » 16 Jun 2006 17:39

nice story Harmon. it's really cool and i like it. i love the story about Tobias Sammet in this forum. i think all the fans love this too. :wink: :wink:

cheerz *Edguylover*
Seven eyes to be blind forever in time.....

Sign of the Cross!!!:P :P
Edguylover
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Location: Holland, in a very boring place called ''Apeldoorn'' so i like also ''Bunnyville''

Postby Jaquar » 12 Aug 2006 14:17

Hmm, the shirst site doesnt work.. mind checking again ? Im really eager to buy one.
Jaquar
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby UYM » 13 Aug 2006 16:49

Here's a working link... Enjoy...

http://www.art-worx.de/
Use Your Mind...
UYM
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby John_Dolmayan » 25 Oct 2006 20:01

i hope here is anywhere, where speak German, because my english isn´t very well!!! :D
TAKE A ROCKET RIDE.....

....and not a fucking school trip!!!!
John_Dolmayan
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Juniper » 17 Jun 2007 16:03

I would like to know how can I go to the Benatska Noc festival from Hungary? In our little petty country there is no information about important things of west :D anyway there are some metal-offices or something like these where I can inquire. but not the REAL ones if you know what I mean. :)
If somebut can give me some information of travellig, please write me!
:D
ryan9@freemail.hu (Juniper)
Lavatory love machine! No fear can quell my steam! No cabin fire burn my dream! No broken wings to stop me stream! Lavatory Love machine!
That's me! :)
Juniper
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby wwgirl » 17 Jun 2007 17:42

szia...
nos, a google.com remek oldal segitsegevel megtalaltam a feszt hivatalos honlapjat:
http://www.benatskanoc.cz/english/index.php?page=info
ahol angolul elolvashatod hogy lehet odajutni. Amugy az elvira.hu-nak van egy europai vonatmenetrendje is.
Vagy nyiss egy topikot itt es hatha valami cseh el tud igazitani,ha ez az info nem eleg. :wink:

Sok sikert!
Tobi's tiny little guardian angel.
:P
wwgirl
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby The Stranger » 21 Sep 2007 20:52

The shirt site no longer has Edguy listed. Is there a new location?
I swear Angel of Babylon is about anal sex.
The Stranger
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby thecheesinator » 11 Oct 2008 20:08

Don't feed the troll...
Last edited by Thierry on 19 Nov 2008 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing the quote, hence the spam links ;)
thecheesinator
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Naryar » 27 Oct 2008 15:00

Hello Moderators!
I'm so sorry, but I'm looking for some new information about "Ask Edguy" session, but I don't find any actual information. Would you be so nice to help me? I'm so sorry, if I shouldn't write the post here, but then I don't know where can I ask it... Thanks a lot!
The hungarian merchandise girl.
Naryar
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Naryar » 27 Oct 2008 16:00

Thank you very much!:)
The hungarian merchandise girl.
Naryar
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Gurther » 27 Oct 2008 16:03

Naryar wrote:Thank you very much!:)

No problems, always glad to help :)
Gurther
SavageModerator!
SavageModerator!

Postby El Barto » 24 Nov 2011 16:16

Do you all have this problem at this message board (since yesterday?) that everything's much bigger than normal ? Like a zoom.
My Last.Fm

R.I.P. Dio & Gary Moore :(
El Barto
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby Nichols » 24 Nov 2011 16:18

Yeah, it's all pretty out of scale..
Nichols
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Return to The Edguy Discussion Forum!

• View new posts