Edguy & Avantasia Forums

Is Tobias Sammet Religious?

Discuss the latest Avantasia album "The Mystery of time"
as well as the Mystery World Tour!

Moderators: Gurther, Harmon, Thierry

Postby deadlockedjustice » 24 Nov 2009 11:26

I have closely listened to and read the lyrics to a lot of Tobias' songs and they all have themes from either the Christian or the Catholic bible, (i.e. The whore of Babylon, the angels of heaven, "holy Lord it is over, oh God!" etc...)...
So my question is, did he simply look to the Bible for inspiration or is he actually Catholic or Christian?
deadlockedjustice
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby ESTAC » 24 Nov 2009 11:44

Does it really matter?
ESTAC
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Poglia » 24 Nov 2009 12:28

This should answer your question:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1657&p=35422#p35422
Poglia
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby MissFreaky » 24 Nov 2009 12:30

Edguy does not claim to represent any ideology; Tobias Sammet claimed "[the band is] not political and we are not religious; at least there is no key message in our songs telling you what to think in terms of anything".

[source: Wikipedia]

as far as i know the band/tobi doesn't have any clear attitude towards religion...just a topic to deal with in songs...just as politics and sex...

and avatasia (the metal opera) is completely different from the edguy-stuff...the whole concept is about the meideval inquisition, witch persecution etc...here i'm not really sure, if it has any religious background or if tobi just liked the idea for the story...at least, it fits perfectly with the epic sound
...Living on a Dream
Dying for an Angel...

My Last.FM
MissFreaky
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Aniland » 24 Nov 2009 23:15

I always thought that he was not religious, due to the lyrics of certain songs (especially "The Pride of Creation"), but he has been known to thank God in his album booklets, so I don't know.
Aniland
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Poglia » 25 Nov 2009 10:42

Aniland wrote:I always thought that he was not religious, due to the lyrics of certain songs (especially "The Pride of Creation"), but he has been known to thank God in his album booklets, so I don't know.
The Pride Of Creation is a fun song, there's nothing against God. It simply means that God must have humor sense, otherwise he wouldn't create strange creatures like the Aardvark.
Poglia
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Aniland » 25 Nov 2009 15:06

Yeah, I know. For a good while though (and still a tad to this day), I've always felt that there was a biting cynicism in some of those lines.
Aniland
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby DarthVenom » 25 Nov 2009 15:14

Well, the softer interlude in The Pride Of Creation seems to me a direct attack against Catholicism, and the rest of the song always did come off to me as what I would call a sardonic roasting of Christianity.

Still, Tobi strikes me as a kind of in-between guy: against organized religion, but doesn't rule out spirituality and all that.
Through the bars I saw the fields, the stars mere cogs in ox cart wheels, the earth a pebble in a stream, but not one human to be seen...

http://shrewdvibrations.blogspot.com/ Check out my music blog!
DarthVenom
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby fubar.savage » 26 Nov 2009 07:37

I do apologize for anybody who gets offended for reading this - it is a touchy topic.

DarthVenom wrote:Still, Tobi strikes me as a kind of in-between guy: against organized religion, but doesn't rule out spirituality and all that.

Sums it up quite nicely. I'm sorta the same, I find the stories rather interesting - but in some way not much different than today's life.

I would like to say offence is for people who have a strong disgust or anti beliefs or opinions which tend to stereotypicalize automatically, offence is a legitimate hatred for something being toyed with or not taken seriously - why should any of us have such hatred? maybe it's me, but most of Australia seems to go by this. I quote bonfire...

"Under Blue Skies, we all play the game, but in God's eyes, we are all the same" - which leads me to my beliefs and my opinion which is why any of us should target another one of us for beliefs, we shouldn't be targeting anybody - we're all human.

I find Tobi is open about the idea, but can't take it serious enough to be able to worship a higher power, and in my opinion I agree.

Add Me on Facebook! Click Here!
03.01.10 - Edguy in Melbourne!!!
26.08.11 - The Age of the Joker is here!!
Unofficial Australian Edguy Fan Club
fubar.savage
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby Pandora_Sammet » 05 Dec 2009 19:03

I think he has his own religion, his own concept. I have read somewhere a time ago that everybody believes in God, even the black metallers. He told also that he doesn't go to the church because he thinks it is not necessary to him, but if he needs it someday, he will go. I don't remember the link... but the sense was that.
After the storm, when the magic is gone
Drown in the Tears of a Mandrake
Pandora_Sammet
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby daerek » 05 Dec 2009 20:07

Pandora_Sammet wrote:[...] everybody believes in God, [...]
I don't :knose
The beauty of the beast is also true beauty. Dissonance is a form of harmony. Art is creative, art is destructive. Variation means that there are extremes.

For the New Lunar Republic!
daerek
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby The Stranger » 05 Dec 2009 20:30

I don't think power metal lyrics are a good way to judge whether or not Tobi is religious.
I swear Angel of Babylon is about anal sex.
The Stranger
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby daerek » 05 Dec 2009 20:53

The Stranger wrote:I don't think power metal lyrics are a good way to judge whether or not Tobi is religious.
Good point! :knose
The beauty of the beast is also true beauty. Dissonance is a form of harmony. Art is creative, art is destructive. Variation means that there are extremes.

For the New Lunar Republic!
daerek
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Aniland » 06 Dec 2009 20:52

Pandora_Sammet wrote:I think he has his own religion, his own concept. I have read somewhere a time ago that everybody believes in God, even the black metallers. He told also that he doesn't go to the church because he thinks it is not necessary to him, but if he needs it someday, he will go. I don't remember the link... but the sense was that.

You read somewhere that EVERYONE believes in God? What a load of horse shit. XD. I bet a priest wrote that.

Proof to back up my claim: I don't believe in God in the slightest.
Aniland
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby DarthVenom » 06 Dec 2009 22:33

I don't know why I get drawn to religious debates like this, because they tend to bring me down more often than not, but I just gotta say...I really don't like that quote about how everyone believes in God.

Now, I'm not speaking from experience, because I consider myself a spiritual person, and I'm open to the idea of religion, even if none of the organized religions have convinced me that their way is right. But that "everyone believes in God, deep down" thing just seems like a way for hardline religious types to paint atheists as consciously rebelling against God, when in reality, these people honestly just can't feel any kind of divine presence in their lives. There's no rebellion involved (Unless you're in one of the aforementioned black metal bands, shrieking about the Pagan forests in rebellion against Christian expansion in Scandinavia, but I digress...).
Through the bars I saw the fields, the stars mere cogs in ox cart wheels, the earth a pebble in a stream, but not one human to be seen...

http://shrewdvibrations.blogspot.com/ Check out my music blog!
DarthVenom
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Aniland » 06 Dec 2009 23:41

Yeah, I hear ya^. Also, I find it SO offensive when somebody says that "I'll find God eventually." That's like me going up to a Christian, coaxing them into atheism, and saying "Oh, well you'll get over your stupid shit eventually." Same exact thing.
Aniland
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Pandora_Sammet » 12 Dec 2009 18:00

Aniland wrote:
Pandora_Sammet wrote:I think he has his own religion, his own concept. I have read somewhere a time ago that everybody believes in God, even the black metallers. He told also that he doesn't go to the church because he thinks it is not necessary to him, but if he needs it someday, he will go. I don't remember the link... but the sense was that.

You read somewhere that EVERYONE believes in God? What a load of horse shit. XD. I bet a priest wrote that.

Proof to back up my claim: I don't believe in God in the slightest.

No, these words belongs to Tobi. He thinks this way.
After the storm, when the magic is gone
Drown in the Tears of a Mandrake
Pandora_Sammet
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Return to The Avantasia Discussion Forum!

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts