Edguy & Avantasia Forums

The story behind '' The Wicked Symphony'' and '' AoB''

Discuss the latest Avantasia album "The Mystery of time"
as well as the Mystery World Tour!

Moderators: Gurther, Harmon, Thierry

Postby Cmlr » 03 Apr 2010 17:03

Well, I open this space so that each person put their interpretation of this story
all those who are buying the deluxe edition would make me very happy if they could put that character is every singer, or at least what Tobi writes about them. :D

For starters, I read an interview that the story of''The Scarecrow''was a tormented person who loves music and making him feel inner peace, and does it well, this has little by little to become famous and the fame come the temptations and other challenges.

Here we go, after all sry for the bad english :lol:

In the song''The wicked symphony''Tobi's character to come to understand that can make beautiful music that everyone loves and that can lead to fame, I have understood that Russel Allen represents the inspiration of the character of Tobi and this will know everything that you can achieve with your music, we all know that Jorn represents a kind devil Mephistopheles, I think his purpose in this part is to Tobi's character is lost in fame.
Note: I think what they call''The wicked symphony''is all the music that creates the character of Tobi.

Wastelands
'Let's continue, I have understood that the character of Kiske is something like an angel or a good feeling, in this song as the character we see Tobi he has risen to fame and Kiske wants to put the feet on the ground But Tobi rebellious and frustrated and decides to challenge him disregard it.
Citing Tobi

You - you're old and blind
You sacrifice it all
Lost in the wastelands

Scales Of Justice
Ripper is not representing in this song but I can understand is that Ripper is the fury inside Tobi shoved it in his face all his feelings for so further confuse Tobi
Cmlr
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Aniland » 03 Apr 2010 17:13

I will post my thoughts when I have the whole albums interpreted. :)
Aniland
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Cmlr » 03 Apr 2010 18:09

Dying For An Angel
Klaus is an apparition in a glorious possible future vision of the protagonist.

Blizzard On A Broken Mirror
In this part of history I think that Tobi knows this character with which you can let out their feelings while Andre gives minds. (Tobi and Andre the best friends jajajaj)

Runaway Train
Ok, this is hard....I think this song is about that Tobi will travel to some place to look for better luck and is this confrontation with all their feelings, each represented by a character. :grouphug
Catley want to tell him that if he does the right thing everything will be as you want
Jorn disappointed and wants to lure to the dark side
Kiske try telling that only succeeds in its objective to trust others and support from them.

Crestfallen
in this song is the theme of Tobi's character arrives at this place is judged by all and feels that he arrived at the place he expected Jorn while trying to tell you if you give before may have what you are looking for.
Citing Jorn on this song

And you'll fall away from heaven
Once you know you can't take no more of it
You will fall away from heaven
By the time you can see the crime against you

Forever Is A Long Time
in this song you can see how Jorn face Tobi made it all his life will continue tormenting

You are defying the devil
Forever this time
But you can't imagine
Forever will drag on a long long time
Cmlr
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Cmlr » 03 Apr 2010 18:36

In this part Tobi is alone and rejected but found refuge in this rare character j:)) played by Ralf
Citing Tobi and Ralf

And out in the rain
I'll hide under'd curse in sunlight wings
Out in the rain
Can you break me and take me away
On wings of fury

I've been here a million-through ages
I am the savior inside
Tonight I am love and justice
Tomorrow perversion to Spite

States Of Matter
I have no very clear this song .... Russell tells Tobi that all these EXPERIENCE experienced prompted him to write more music and so achieve more fame?
Citing Russell

Your mind to infinity
Let reason rivet you on your feet or May Fail
You're drawn Into A Distant Glow
You dream of voices from on high
But can not evade Another Rainy Night
And putting on Another show Hate and Affection
Pleasure and pain
Modes of vibration
Unveiling to be all the same

The Edge
This is easy, I think it is about how Tobi's character realizes that life is difficult but that is not ready to trust someone so lost in this mentality that does not need help they can alone.
Citing Tobias

Don't need no glory
The bottle and I
Don't need no sympathy at all
As I hang on the edge
Cmlr
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Maomer » 03 Apr 2010 18:39

Just leaving what's written in the booklet about each of the new vocalists:

Russell Allen:
Inspiration

Ripper Owens:
Fury

Andre Matos:
'Acedia'- Irresponsibility against yourself.

Klaus Meine:
An appiration in a glorius possible future vision of the protagonist.

Ralf Zdiarstek:
The sheltering and healing aspect of fury.

Jon Olivia:
'A loony ghost in the attic who sold his soul for eternal wealth long ago.'

Cloudy Yang:
A character in a side story. As it says in the booklet; 'In reality, there are billions of scarecrows out there.'
Maomer
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby jemd » 03 Apr 2010 20:09

Well I´d just like to post what i think about a couple songs and would like to know what you guys think about this:

Well b4 i start Ill let you all know that I´m kinda trying to analize these lyrics according to the "movie" Aniland is writing in another post (His point of view, which seems pretty accurate to me, at least as for the Scarecrow album).

Runaway Train:
Now does anyone notice the fact that it seems like the person (Tobi) is trying to "escape" from reality? make things easier and stay away from his problems? I mean, notice the lyrics, it seems like if the character was taking drugs and going to another place to forget his problems... here look:

It's only human nature
To keep away from pain
Take a train to ecstasy oh
Ride on, ride on

Inhale the scent of heaven
Respire the smell of fame
You've been to hell and back
You can't change things anyway, no

Riding on to a world of funny flowers
Riding on to the white wide world
If coming back would hurt my pride
I rather take another ride
Riding on, winter on the mirror
Riding on into the unknown
If i'll awake in pain one day
I gotta catch just one more train

See what I mean?x__x seems like if it spoke about drugs or some way to escape reality and troubles :X

Crestfallen:
Now from this lyrics it seems like its some kinda "Warning" to what will happen if he keeps taking this drugs or "escape" however you wanna look at it, and the other character is the "evil" one telling him to keep taking them:

Hey - desperation
Angels crashing from the sky
How can you hold on to your way
In your mental disarray
I am your struggles
The answer to your pain
I am the fury in your eyes
I am reason, I am vice >> (Evil thing)

And you'll fall away from heaven
Once you know you can't take no more of it
You will fall away from heaven
By the time you can see the crime against you >> ("Warning" about what will happen if he follows the other voice).

Now you guys tell me whatcha think xP Those are just my thoughts about those 2 songs hehe. Trying to analyze the rest too according to the story xP.
jemd
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby painjoiker » 03 Apr 2010 21:04

I think you're right so far :)
At least I don't see any flaws in the story ;)
painjoiker
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby jemd » 03 Apr 2010 21:11

painjoiker wrote:I think you're right so far :)
At least I don't see any flaws in the story ;)

Im assuming you´re talkin to me XD hehe, but yea hmm... i can see how it follows the story from Runaway train,then Crestfallen and the rest of the TWS album, but i fail to see how the story goes in the beginning of TWS... the first 5 songs, of course, like i said im kinda following what Aniland wrote in his post about his point of view, but yea, still trying to figure out how the story connects from the Scarecrow album to TWS :x hehe.
jemd
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby painjoiker » 03 Apr 2010 21:18

^ Yeah... Isn't Lost in Space about him being "literally" lost in his mind after being rejected by his one and only love or something?
painjoiker
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby jemd » 03 Apr 2010 21:32

painjoiker wrote:^ Yeah... Isn't Lost in Space about him being "literally" lost in his mind after being rejected by his one and only love or something?

Yeah it seems but, i mean, i just can´t seem to find the connection between the song Lost in Space and then The Wicked Symphony (song). so im not sure xD, hehe. I´d also like to see what Aniland´s gonna write about the rest of the songs in the Scarecrow album since the last he wrote was Toy master.. I´d like to see the Devil in the belfry part and all, i think he´s been doing a great job, maybe he can actually find the connection hehe, but ill keep trying :3
jemd
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby TheImmortality » 03 Apr 2010 23:06

In the Scarecrow we see him try to batter his way to her approval and love, yet she still rejects him. He chooses to stop loving altogether (I don't believe in your love) and then we find him feeling confused and lost by everything that has happened (Lost in Space)

Wicked Symphony ties right into this. Confused and lost, he questions jorns character ("You'll be running out of miracles") but is still tempted by the power and fame, although he may be starting see that this is the wrong path... ("Why don't we read the signs when we're about to get lost")
TheImmortality
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Irsool » 04 Apr 2010 04:35

Okay, let's see:

According to The Scarecrow's booklet:

"The Scarecrow is a tragic story of a lonesome creature, emotionally isolated from his environment and suffering from a distorted sensory perception. His feelings for the love of his life unrequited, he sets off on a journey exploring the left-hand path, striving for inner peace, ploughing his way to approval and eventually facing temptation at the inner depths of the human soul..."

The whole Scarecrow album is the set up to make us see Tobi's character: he is your regular person, not completely pure nor evil, with the potential to reach great places. Right of the bat, he knows his love is unrequited (first verse of the scarecrow), and this forces him out of the right path. Jorn's character promises that he will get all the love and praise he always wanted if he decides to walk the path of temptation, and so he does...

Kiske's character is the one who constantly tries to keep the main character on the right track (Shelter from the Rain), but in the end he is unable to do so (Wastelands).

In The Wicked Symphony, the main character finally achieves all the fame he thinked he wanted, but in the end he realized that is was too much for him to take and tried to run away from all his problems( Runaway Train). Finally, the pressure is too much and he loses everything he had gotten (Crestfallen, The Edge).

Angel of Babylon deals more with the point where Tobi's character reaches rock bottom and realizes there's nothing he can do but to get back on his feet. The first half of the album has the main character struggling with the fact that he has lost everything and has to move on, while the second half (omitting Symphony of Life) is more of a self-analizing thing. There is some kind of revelation that suddenly hits the main character, and he can see that even though he's had everything and lost it, he can still move forward.

Songs like Blowing out the Flame, Alone I Remember, and Journey to Arcadia really got to me, since I think every one of us can relate to that part of the story somehow... We all have had something that we wanted with all our lives, and maybe got sidetracked on the way to get it. Sometimes, we don't realize that along the way we lost something more important that that which we were seeking. It takes a lot to make us understand that.

After listening to the albums a couple of times I realized that in some way or another, we all are scarecrows.
Irsool
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby TheImmortality » 04 Apr 2010 04:56

Irsool wrote:Songs like Blowing out the Flame, Alone I Remember, and Journey to Arcadia really got to me, since I think every one of us can relate to that part of the story somehow... We all have had something that we wanted with all our lives, and maybe got sidetracked on the way to get it. Sometimes, we don't realize that along the way we lost something more important that that which we were seeking. It takes a lot to make us understand that.

After listening to the albums a couple of times I realized that in some way or another, we all are scarecrows.

Man, I couldn't have said it any better. You are right on the money there. Alone I remember and Journey to Arcadia hit me the same way.

Actually, I was really curious to know how Tobias ended the saga because I really identified with The Scarecrow (except my story is boring) and I was so happy to hear it end on a positive note. :)

The story is a powerful one because unlike Faust or Christ, the average person can identify with it and find hope it in.
TheImmortality
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Irsool » 04 Apr 2010 14:41

TheImmortality wrote:
Irsool wrote:Songs like Blowing out the Flame, Alone I Remember, and Journey to Arcadia really got to me, since I think every one of us can relate to that part of the story somehow... We all have had something that we wanted with all our lives, and maybe got sidetracked on the way to get it. Sometimes, we don't realize that along the way we lost something more important that that which we were seeking. It takes a lot to make us understand that.

Man, I couldn't have said it any better. You are right on the money there. Alone I remember and Journey to Arcadia hit me the same way.

Actually, I was really curious to know how Tobias ended the saga because I really identified with The Scarecrow (except my story is boring) and I was so happy to hear it end on a positive note. :)

The story is a powerful one because unlike Faust or Christ, the average person can identify with it and find hope it in.

I'm glad to see someone else sees it that way :D
Irsool
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Cmlr » 04 Apr 2010 17:49

but not yet entered history as the composition of Stargazers
when you have an idea that talks will continue with my interpretation of the history
Cmlr
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby TheImmortality » 04 Apr 2010 22:12

Cmlr wrote:but not yet entered history as the composition of Stargazers
when you have an idea that talks will continue with my interpretation of the history

Say what to who, now?
TheImmortality
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby painjoiker » 05 Apr 2010 00:07

^ So it wasn't my bad english... there was something wrong with that post?

Well... I think he meant something like "I have not yet studied the story in "Stargazers" and that when someone get what it's about so post it here" or something...
I don't know really xD
painjoiker
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby jemd » 05 Apr 2010 01:13

painjoiker wrote:^ So it wasn't my bad english... there was something wrong with that post?

Well... I think he meant something like "I have not yet studied the story in "Stargazers" and that when someone get what it's about so post it here" or something...
I don't know really xD

Oh, im glad im not the onlyone that didnt understand what he meant XDD
jemd
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Cmlr » 05 Apr 2010 03:38

jajajaja sry for that, what i tray to say is when i understand the place of Stargazers in the history i follow the review.
Cmlr
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Cmlr » 05 Apr 2010 04:14

Ok im ready to follow

Stargazers
In this song I think Tobi is very tired and that everything goes wrong and decides to surrender to Jorn Jorn leads he to a distorted mental state I think it represents Babylon

Angel Of Babylon
Jorn in this song is presented to Tobi as it is, letting him know that he is the dark side, or is represented here I think he is the ''Angel of babylon''

Your Love Is Evil
Tobi here remembers what was Amanda Somerville in the Scarecrow and realizes that he can not forget and not to be injured the same but with the memory is avoided.

Death Is Just A Feeling
In this part of the history Tobi meets this phantom represented by Oliva, Oliva realizes he can bring fame and money and try to make a deal with he. ... l to be its representative type maybe?

Rat Race
In this song Tobi realizes that his fame has come so far that now all adore him as an idol and he can do whatever, Jorn tries to convince Tobi that become all in Scarecrows like him
Citing Tobi

I got sulfur in my veins
Devil watching through my eyes
I got beauty I got brains
And there's no one to defy
I've got the power in my fingers
And the opera in my hands
Cmlr
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Next

Return to The Avantasia Discussion Forum!

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts