Edguy & Avantasia Forums

Spam Issues!

The latest forum news, updates, upgrades, & your requests can be found here.

Moderator: Harmon

Postby Harmon » 27 Nov 2006 14:40

Savages-

As many of you have seen and witnessed we are having a bit of an issue with spam users and posts over the course of the last couple of weeks. I am working on putting in some new security measures which should hopefully shut them down a little bit better. With that being said, it is incredible the amount of spam that is potentially out there and their ability to overcome the measures we have already put in place.

Also, if you could please do not reply to a topic or message that you feel like is spam. Theoretically it is possible that this could make the situation in that topic and with that particular bot even worse.

Thanks for your help and understanding as we work through this issue. If you have any questions please let me know in this topic. Stay savage! 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby Muppet » 26 Dec 2006 05:36

I think they are emailing me asking why they have been banned from here.
:(

I've sent you a PM but just so everyone else is made aware of it, just incase anyone else is getting it, i thought i'd post something in here.

I don't know for sure if it is a bot that has collected my details from here but she sure as hell reads like one!
:P

Shit, and Transformers isn't even released until July 2007... It's already begun!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Muppet
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby ysand » 27 Dec 2006 13:59

Muppet wrote:Shit, and Transformers isn't even released until July 2007... It's already begun!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a way to promote the movie! Go bots! :P :lol:
"Adding rap to rock is like taking the most beautiful girl you've ever seen to a plastic surgeon, and asking him to put a penis on her"
- Karl Logan

"If by noise you mean uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me"
ysand
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Muppet » 29 Dec 2006 08:21

YAY!

Transformers, robots in disguise!
:D

I still don't know if it was a human or not.

I'm starting to think it was a real person and I'd hate to think i have ignored a real person that was asking a real question.

It's just i have had a lot of shit from people in the past getting my details from this forum and spamming me over the silliest things.

At one stage during the "Marriage Months" as i like to refer to them, i had a few girls asking if i was Tobi or abusing me! It's a shame when people don't take jokes for what they are and just read far too much into it!
Stupid, Stupid, STUPID girls!
They really ruined my carefree nature here!
:roll:

But that all stopped some while back.

I don't know why i thought it was a bot. It might be a genuine question.
:(

I don't respond to people anymore unless i know them.

So if you are reading this and you are a real person, and you are the person that emailed me, i'm sorry if i haven't responded.

I can only hope Harmon responded to you.
:)
Muppet
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby Harmon » 29 Dec 2006 13:40

As a matter of rule, I ignore any mail from anyone that I don't know or that I don't know the source of. Yes, we're having many bot registrations here at the forums (which are quickly being deleted I might add), but it will be difficult to stop everything until the new version of phpbb is released. Thanks! 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby Muppet » 29 Dec 2006 14:18

Thanks Harmon.
:)

Good luck with the Bots.....

I'll post one that will hopefully help you!
:D

Go get 'em Optimus Prime!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Muppet
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby Harmon » 29 Dec 2006 14:36

Good luck with the Bots..... I'll post one that will hopefully help you! Go get 'em Optimus Prime!

Nice!! Optimus will take care of those lowly decepticon spammer bots! 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby Melissa » 21 Oct 2008 23:55

Etrruugo wrote:self-trust is the first secret of success.

---------------------------------------------------
Pet products, dog bed, pet supply wow power level, WoW Power Leveling,

I just like how there's spam in the Spam Awareness/anti-spam topic.
[Feel free to remove this comment when the posts are removed :)]
<-- Remember the stars
Melissa
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby lola » 22 Oct 2008 21:07

yeah i see them too from time to time and i always say it to titi, so were all watching, and moreoever i think theres alot deleted before it reach us, !
Spanking high, spanking low, spanking everywhere we go!
Savage Union South America
http://www.edguyfan.com.ar
lola
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Thanatos » 22 Oct 2008 21:13

I don't get it... how do these spam bots register since in the registration form there's this special image called capthcha (the image with the twisted letters)
There's no great genius without some touch of madness...
Thanatos
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Gurther » 22 Oct 2008 23:14

Thanatos wrote:I don't get it... how do these spam bots register since in the registration form there's this special image called capthcha (the image with the twisted letters)

You know all spammers ain't bot, right? ;) We don't get THAT many compared to other boards, really, so I guess those guys are probably humans that just copy/paste the same message in a lot of forums ;)

There's really nothing to do except e-mail confirmation (is that already the case?), massive IP bans, and in the most drastic measure, admin confirmation =x But it's not bad enough to require the last option in my opinion...
Gurther
SavageModerator!
SavageModerator!

Postby lola » 24 Oct 2008 00:57

i get were quiet safe of them as theres a lot of us that indeed look in the entire forum and let the crew know!!!!

as far as i know this is one of the most friendly forums, and im proud of be a part of! 8)
lola
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Gurther » 24 Oct 2008 01:13

lola wrote:i get were quiet safe of them as theres a lot of us that indeed look in the entire forum and let the crew know!!!!

as far as i know this is one of the most friendly forums, and im proud of be a part of! 8)

Yeah, there's always someone on the forums, so these spammers ain't much of a huge problem IMO...

And about the forum being friendly, I support that statement, everyone is really nice ^_^
Gurther
SavageModerator!
SavageModerator!

Postby daerek » 14 Apr 2009 06:46

Harmon, maybe you should do what Matt did, add an anti-spam question to the registration (like "who is the man behind Avantasia?")? :knose

It seems to work on his forum! :knose
Meow.
daerek
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Thanatos » 14 Apr 2009 07:22

daerek wrote:Harmon, maybe you should do what Matt did, add an anti-spam question to the registration (like "who is the man behind Avantasia?")? :knose

It seems to work on his forum! :knose

That should work. The custom-made captcha is the best protection I can think of. BTW is the forum fully updated? I mean is there a newer version or something? Because usually the newest version is designed to protect the forum from the newest bots.
There's no great genius without some touch of madness...
Thanatos
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby daerek » 14 Apr 2009 07:36

Thanatos wrote:[...] BTW is the forum fully updated? I mean is there a newer version or something? Because usually the newest version is designed to protect the forum from the newest bots.
Yeah, that could be a problem, too... Harmon? :knose
Meow.
daerek
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Harmon » 14 Apr 2009 12:24

I'll be fully upgrading the forum as soon as I can. (But to answer the question, no it is not on the latest version.) I'll try to get the updates done this week or at the very latest this weekend. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress. Thanks! 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby daerek » 14 Apr 2009 12:26

Harmon wrote:I'll be fully upgrading the forum as soon as I can. (But to answer the question, no it is not on the latest version.) I'll try to get the updates done this week or at the very latest this weekend. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress. Thanks! 8)
This better happen soon! I've grown quite tired of all the spam!

Matt's forum hasn't had any spam for quite a while... Try to do what Matt has done, it might help! :knose
Meow.
daerek
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby lola » 01 May 2009 11:49

well. I really dont think that captcha is quiete secure, neither a question. but both together can be helpfull. As programmers know how pass by those. and make programs that indeed pass them.!
But i will like to remak what -H said, we can help by not replying on those topics.!
or pm moderators. rest unfortunately is up to Harmon work! :hug
lola
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Danielle » 22 Apr 2010 15:21

could anything be done with the posts by JIMJONES?
Bratislava 2009 | Noc Plná Hvězd 2010 | Prague 2011 | Zlín 2011
That's the Czech Republic- beautiful women, crazy heavy metal people!
~ Tobias Sammet
Danielle
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Next

Return to Board Announcements :: Site Updates!

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts