Edguy & Avantasia Forums

Unisonic (Michael Kiske) - Light of Dawn (Album)

Discuss other bands, albums, and tours inside this forum.

Moderators: Gurther, Harmon, Thierry

Postby Harmon » 22 Aug 2014 11:06

nightangel wrote:The album is a little less catchy after first listening then the debut album, but this is a good thing, because I often get easily tired of too catchy stuff. So give the album some more spins, especially songs like 'Manhunter' need more spins to explore some cool parts. :)

flownaway wrote:To me this album is more catchy than the first one. I think Dennis writes songs more in the melodic rock direction while Kai is more hard rock.

Very interesting that both of you adore the album but have different opinions as to its catchiness. ;) Just goes to show how we all hear something at least slightly different when we listen to an album... even if we both like it. Okay, I am finally getting to my second spin here at work this morning. Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll let you know what grows on me. 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby joshuarain » 24 Aug 2014 14:19

Listened to it several times now and Man this album is way better than the debut, which I found pretty boring overall.
I enjoyed the heel out of it, it reminds of Hellowen sometimes but its really fresh or something.
Only downpoint for me is the song "manhunter" its boring but also Kiske sings pretty false when he goes high here, cant belive that song made it on the album, but still, the other 12 tracks are great, first disliked exceptional as well but it grew on me.
joshuarain
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Eddie's Bitch » 01 Sep 2014 07:43

bought this fairly recently so I havent given it too many spins yet, but its very promising! :)
2013 Avantasia Tour:- 2 x Pratteln, Berlin, Hamburg, Japan
2014 Edguy Tour:- Munich, Kaufbeuren, Fulda, Frankfurt, Pratteln
2016 Avantasia Tour - 2 x Pratteln, Saarbrucken, Ludwigsburg, Fulda
Eddie's Bitch
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Harmon » 03 Sep 2014 17:22

Eddie's Bitch wrote:bought this fairly recently so I havent given it too many spins yet, but its very promising! :)

I'm trying to give it more & more spins, but for whatever reason it just hasn't connected with me. The songs are indeed good (for the most part), Kiske is very good (as always), but there is some variable missing that I can't put my finger on. It's one of those that I want to love, but it won't let me. 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby flownaway » 04 Sep 2014 08:45

Harmon wrote:
Eddie's Bitch wrote:bought this fairly recently so I havent given it too many spins yet, but its very promising! :)

I'm trying to give it more & more spins, but for whatever reason it just hasn't connected with me. The songs are indeed good (for the most part), Kiske is very good (as always), but there is some variable missing that I can't put my finger on. It's one of those that I want to love, but it won't let me. 8)

That's cool Harmon. Maybe give it another go after half a year or so.

I'm falling big time for this record and becoming a Kiske fan girl!
Help Nightangel :lol:
flownaway
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby Harmon » 04 Sep 2014 11:12

flownaway wrote:That's cool Harmon. Maybe give it another go after half a year or so.

I'm actually going to give it a spin on my run today so we'll see... Just don't look for me to become a Kiske fan "girl" like you two anytime soon. ;)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby flownaway » 05 Sep 2014 04:14

Harmon wrote:
flownaway wrote:That's cool Harmon. Maybe give it another go after half a year or so.

I'm actually going to give it a spin on my run today so we'll see... Just don't look for me to become a Kiske fan "girl" like you two anytime soon. ;)

Haha in that case let me know how it turns out! If running makes you like the album more then I'll start exercising! :D
flownaway
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby Larissa » 06 Sep 2014 11:52

Finally picked it up and gave it a first spin today.

So far, I like this album much better then the first. Catchy, some great songs and melodies, mostly very good vocal work from Michael (sometimes his voice doesn't follow where he wants to go). Now I am looking forward to seeing Unisonic live :) .

I was not impressed by the first album. For some reason, it never connected. I will give it a few more listening sessions, maybe it changes.

Like Harmon wrote a while ago, it's interesting how opinions differ on both albums. And how people like one or the other for completely opposite reasons.
Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus

Life was easier when apples and blackberries were just fruit ...

http://www.lara-moeller.de
Larissa
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby mpa » 10 Sep 2014 08:14

Larissa wrote:mostly very good vocal work from Michael (sometimes his voice doesn't follow where he wants to go)

Could you please provide some examples, because to me he sounds flawless and I have started thinking that this might be his best performance ever in a full length album.
mpa
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Larissa » 10 Sep 2014 10:15

Will listen to it again this evening and make notes.

Not saying he is off-key anywhere.
But there are a few times when his voice starts to tremble and it sounds like he is missing the last bit of breath to keep going.

Will give you details tomorrow.

Larissa
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Larissa » 11 Sep 2014 08:39

@ mpa: Here are the details:

I didn't have time to listened to the whole album, but found a few examples that will hopefully make clear what I mean. The tremble occurs mostly at the end of sentences, when he has to hold / stretch a word.
I put the respective words in quotation marks.

Don't get me wrong. As mentioned before, I like his vocal work a lot on this album. We are talking about details here.
Tobi used to do the same thing on earlier Edguy albums and I didn't like it either :) .

Track 2: Your Time Has Come
The first and third refrain, when Michael sings "come" at the end.

Track 4: For The Kingdom
- Sheep in the "desert"
- Bear no malice to "anyone"
- Before the "fall"

Track 8: Blood => it is very distinct in this song
- You broke my heart at "first"
- Let you "go"
- We finally need to "win"

Larissa
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby flownaway » 11 Sep 2014 11:01

Larissa wrote:@ mpa: Here are the details:

I didn't have time to listened to the whole album, but found a few examples that will hopefully make clear what I mean. The tremble occurs mostly at the end of sentences, when he has to hold / stretch a word.
I put the respective words in quotation marks.

Don't get me wrong. As mentioned before, I like his vocal work a lot on this album. We are talking about details here.
Tobi used to do the same thing on earlier Edguy albums and I didn't like it either :) .

Track 2: Your Time Has Come
The first and third refrain, when Michael sings "come" at the end.

Track 4: For The Kingdom
- Sheep in the "desert"
- Bear no malice to "anyone"
- Before the "fall"

Track 8: Blood => it is very distinct in this song
- You broke my heart at "first"
- Let you "go"
- We finally need to "win"

Interesting thoughts... I kinda think that's how he sings these days. For some prolonged notes he sings straight then adds in some vibrato at the end. For example in Where Clock Hands Freeze:
- The spin of the hand is your pace on the "run"
- On the verge of "lunacy"
- Where clock hands "freeze"

Personally I like it :) especially when used at the end of a song. It gives me the mental image of a candlelight flickering before darkness sets in. At the end of Wastelands the same effect was created but with guitar.

TBH I'm not a fan of the keeper style because vibrato is added to almost every long note which makes it too predicable. Andre Matos might be the opposite and carries notes straight to the end. It all comes down to personal choice I guess. :)

I hope after detailed listening you enjoy the album even more :D
flownaway
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby mpa » 11 Sep 2014 15:25

Larissa wrote:@ mpa: Here are the details:
The tremble occurs mostly at the end of sentences, when he has to hold / stretch a word.

Ok I get you now. You are referring to vibrato (tremble), which Kiske uses a lot in the past decade, especially on the Avantasia songs he sang on the last 3 releases (Wastelands, Stargazers & Where Clock Hands Freeze). It is not that his voice cannot go where he wants (listen to the sastained scream on Exceptional), it is a stylistic decision to end a verse or chorus like that. Examples: the ending of both Your Time Has Come and For The Kingdom. Personally I like it but he does over do it on Blood.

flownaway wrote: I kinda think that's how he sings these days

Exactly.
mpa
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice

Postby Larissa » 16 Sep 2014 10:21

@mpa : Yes, the vibrato. And you are right, he uses it on some of the Avantasia songs as well.
Generally, I don't mind it, but - like you wrote - it's a bit much on Blood.

@flownaway

I like it more with every listening session. Have to go back to the first album and give it another try.

Larissa
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby flownaway » 16 Sep 2014 23:59

Larissa wrote:I like it more with every listening session. Have to go back to the first album and give it another try.

Same here :)
Didn't pay enough attention to the first record when it came out so now have a lot of catch-up to do.
Kiske and Hansen are hilarious on stage, like in this performance of Over The Rainbow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQPEmCv5w4o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
flownaway
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby nightangel » 06 Oct 2014 19:28

MICHAEL KISKE INJURED ON STAGE

Sadly, on the 4th of October in Kaufbeuren, Germany, Michael Kiske had an accident right before the last song of UNISONIC´s set.

After a jump, he twisted his knee and fell on the side. The result is a cruciate ligament rupture which the doctors say will take a while to recover from. Fortunately, Michael puts his fans before his pain and will continue the current tour with EDGUY, no matter what the costs. Although he will not be able to move on stage, Michael says he’s happy that he still can sing for the fans during the next shows. So, don’t fret! The show will go on and we, the band UNISONIC, are very glad about this!

See you all on the road – rock on!

Souls Alive Official Unisonic Fanclub
http://www.unisonicfanclub.com/

Michael Kiske Official Fanclub
http://www.kiskefanclub.com
nightangel
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby flownaway » 07 Oct 2014 04:36

Geez that sounds like a lot of pain! :(
Hope he's feeling better now and the injury won't leave any long term effect.
Kudos to mighty Kiske for continuing with the tour :headbang
flownaway
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby nightangel » 18 Oct 2014 13:51

The big Unisonic tour contest is over and we have the winners. This time the questions were a little bit too difficult or could be understood in 2 ways, but we kept this in mind, when we checked the answers.

Check all details here:
http://unisonicfanclub.com/unisonic-tour-contest-winner/
Souls Alive Official Unisonic Fanclub
http://www.unisonicfanclub.com/

Michael Kiske Official Fanclub
http://www.kiskefanclub.com
nightangel
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Larissa » 18 Oct 2014 16:36

Before I forget among the excitement about Edguy and the tour:

I really enjoyed seeing Unisonic live. Both concerts were a blast!
They played all the right songs and Michael's vocal work was impressive.
Kai and Michael have great chemistry on stage. Watching them was very entertaining :) .
Can't wait to see Unisonic live again.

And it was nice to meet you in person, nightangel!

Larissa
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Hard Rocker » 15 Nov 2014 22:25

Just bought my ticket for their show in Madrid! I got their last album from iTunes and I really like it :) their previous songs too! I'm falling in love with Kiske's voice more and more... :D
19.12.10 - AVANTASIA: You bring us fantasy ||14.10.11 - EDGUY: In our lives you're 10 out of 10 || 31.05.13 - AVANTASIA's first show in Spain || 17.10.14 - EDGUY: Beware of the Love Tyger!
Hard Rocker
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

PreviousNext

Return to Other Band Discussion!

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts