Edguy & Avantasia Forums

[band] Nightwish

Discuss other bands, albums, and tours inside this forum.

Moderators: Gurther, Harmon, Thierry

Postby Toradh » 01 Feb 2014 18:45

Eddie's Bitch wrote:I am absolutely stoked that Floor is now permanent and look forward to their next album and the subsequent tour in 2015!!

Bring it on!!! :headbang :headbang


Agreed! I've seen Showtime, Storytime now and I love how Floor sings the songs. Plus I've seen her live with ReVamp and she was absolutely amazing. Great voice, great stage presence, and ever so sweet and down to earth when talking to the fans after the show. I think she's a wonderful new singer and she will do Tarja and Anette more than justice.

I almost like the songs better with Floor than with Tarja and Anette… (I mean, seriously, Ever Dream is brilliant)
Toradh
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple
 
Posts: 249
Joined: 27 Apr 2013 16:51
Location: Bochum, Germany

Postby miss_saku » 02 Feb 2014 00:10

Toradh wrote:
Eddie's Bitch wrote:I am absolutely stoked that Floor is now permanent and look forward to their next album and the subsequent tour in 2015!!

Bring it on!!! :headbang :headbang


Agreed! I've seen Showtime, Storytime now and I love how Floor sings the songs. Plus I've seen her live with ReVamp and she was absolutely amazing. Great voice, great stage presence, and ever so sweet and down to earth when talking to the fans after the show. I think she's a wonderful new singer and she will do Tarja and Anette more than justice.

I almost like the songs better with Floor than with Tarja and Anette… (I mean, seriously, Ever Dream is brilliant)

Yes, I don't know why some people don't like her. She has such a strong voice. I'm so happy that every singer in Nightwish is different from the last one. I can't wait for new songs specially written for her.
User avatar
miss_saku
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Jan 2014 22:29
Location: Numenor

Postby Carynara » 29 Mar 2015 14:08

The latest EP is pretty fantastic imo! FINALLY it sounds like Nightwish again!!!!! Totally brigns back the old Wishmaster-sound for me, goosebumps all over my arms. I for one have finally gotten over Tarja! :cheer Pre-ordered the new album, it'll be out in a couple of days, can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

Hope to see them this year :cheer
Tutto vantià, solo vanità
Vivete con gioia e semplicità
Carynara
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple
 
Posts: 399
Joined: 29 May 2013 18:50

Postby Thierry » 29 Mar 2015 23:00

I've read a lot of negative comments and reviews on the new album (including on our webzine), but as far as my 1st listening (yesterday) went, I'm quite pleased with it. The only major negative thing about it IMO is that Floor's voice isn't used the way it should, she sounds less powerful than ever, apart on a few parts.

But the songs are very good all in all, even though it often sounds like auto-plagiarism. But it's been so since Once... :/
Maybe it's better for you, mankind, not to know what's going on!

Webzine "La Guilde du Metal", available in French
Webzine Artzone Chronicles
Finntroll-France
Thierry
SavageModerator!
SavageModerator!
 
Posts: 7864
Joined: 17 Oct 2001 00:00
Location: Southwest of France

Postby flownaway » 01 Apr 2015 21:54

Thierry wrote:Floor's voice isn't used the way it should, she sounds less powerful than ever, apart on a few parts.


Amen to that. It feels as if the songs were not written with her voice in mind. :(
To me it's an ok album with good production but the songs are pretty uninspiring. And I don't get the last song - it's more like a collection of song ideas rather than one well thought out piece. The fact it's 24 min long only made it worse...
User avatar
flownaway
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple
 
Posts: 379
Joined: 08 Apr 2007 11:05
Location: In the lab

Postby Toradh » 02 Apr 2015 12:44

Carynara wrote:The latest EP is pretty fantastic imo! FINALLY it sounds like Nightwish again!!!!! Totally brigns back the old Wishmaster-sound for me, goosebumps all over my arms. I for one have finally gotten over Tarja! :cheer Pre-ordered the new album, it'll be out in a couple of days, can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

Hope to see them this year :cheer


Funny, I thought it was quite unsual when I first heard it. Sure, Tuomas has been exploiting Troy’s fiddles ever since Imaginaerum (I don’t mind), and we’re used to more poppy first singles now, too, but it's dreamier than I would have expected. And I was surprised how softly Floor sings it. I love the song and her new way of singing a lot, by the way. I’m glad she gets some more powerful lines on the album, too, though :).
Which I love to bits overall, although I would have wished for more heavier songs and for more Marko, but you can’t have everything. To me it seems rather that Tuomas is contuining the direction he started steering to on The Life and Times of Scrooge album, not older Nightwish stuff. Sad, but still sounds awesome, so I had better not complain.
I also love The Greatest Show on Earth, although, yes, it’s quite lengthy in the end. It‘s more of background sounds for, I don’t know, yoga, than music in that part, but okay. The entire "Life" part gives me chills. Both the instrumental parts and how Floor delivers the wonderful chorus.

Seems to be a good year for CD releases, and I really hope I’ll see Nightwish live this year :).
Toradh
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple
 
Posts: 249
Joined: 27 Apr 2013 16:51
Location: Bochum, Germany

Postby Immortal Piper » 22 Apr 2015 18:13

flownaway wrote:And I don't get the last song - it's more like a collection of song ideas rather than one well thought out piece. The fact it's 24 min long only made it worse...


The Greates Show on Earth is amazing, although I do agree it's drawn out too long. I'm not a fan of Tuomas putting long dialogue sections and other nonsense in the middle of his epics, like he also did with Song of Myself. I've barely listened to that, even though it's a great song, because of the extended dialogue part in the middle.

They should have cut off the first 5:45 of TGSoE as an intro. It's really great from about 6:55 and on-wards tho! :D
The only meaning of life, is to give life meaning!
User avatar
Immortal Piper
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple
 
Posts: 564
Joined: 11 Apr 2011 18:28
Location: Norway

Postby CaspianTheMessenger » 13 Oct 2015 20:39

This has probably already been discussed but...

Am I the only one who thinks they could have asked someone OTHER than Richard Dawkins to narrate? I can't think of any others, but I cant stand the guy's vitriolic attitude towards religion and it seems so ironic that they would ask him.
“Oh dear friend just let me stand,
Don’t blow me over ‘til I’m gone
Life still flows through my branches yet
More leaves are yet to come”
CaspianTheMessenger
SavageApprentice
SavageApprentice
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 14:01

Postby Toradh » 23 Oct 2015 11:43

CaspianTheMessenger wrote:This has probably already been discussed but...

Am I the only one who thinks they could have asked someone OTHER than Richard Dawkins to narrate? I can't think of any others, but I cant stand the guy's vitriolic attitude towards religion and it seems so ironic that they would ask him.


I think that was the point, Tuomas is a great fan of his books. Whereas I don’t think Dawkins is a particularly good narrator, I still think it’s cool to have him on board personally, and to read out his own lines on an album which largely deals with his books :). I don’t think any other narrator would have made particular sense, either. Carl Sagan is dead already ;).
Toradh
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple
 
Posts: 249
Joined: 27 Apr 2013 16:51
Location: Bochum, Germany

Previous

Return to Other Band Discussion!

cron
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 200 on 01 Jul 2007 12:10
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests