Edguy & Avantasia Forums

[artist] Michael Kiske

Discuss other bands, albums, and tours inside this forum.

Moderators: Gurther, Harmon, Thierry

Postby ESTAC » 08 May 2008 21:29

2008 is Michael Kiske year! With 3 releases to come, a new topic on these boards is not too much!

1. his new solo album: Past In Different Ways (9th May)
Michi covers 10 helloween songs with his actual sound. No gain, all is unplugged with some arrangements and an incredible voice!

2. Timo Tolkki's new band Revolution Renaissance (6th june)
Michi is singing 5 songs on the album. Here's a first song which sounds very promising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28JdCcyl5EM
Kiske finally back to metal?

3. Place Vendome 2nd album (end of 2008)
I'm very eager to listen to the first samples. I really don't know what to expect!

As you see, the mysterious former ex-best metal singer of all-times will have a well-filled year. It is very exciting for a guy like me because I started to listen to metal with him!

Your opinions and reviews on these albums are welcome here, as well as your thoughts upon the artist!
Last edited by ESTAC on 09 May 2008 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
ESTAC
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby rdyfrde » 09 May 2008 16:08

Hmmm, I think I've heard of him :lol:

Considering I'm a Kiske fanclub member, I've known about these releases for a while. Though the new album is called Past in Different Ways and not Different Ways :)

I've heard the acoustic album and I like it. There's a few songs that don't translate that well to acoustic like "I Believe" but the rest are pretty well done. I'll frankly admit that Michi's songs weren't exactly my favorites in Helloween, preferring Weiki or Kai instead. Still, it's nice hearing them in a new way 8)

I'm definitely looking forward to the Revolution Renaissance album as all of the tracks so far have sounded really good.

As for Place Vendome, I've heard that the album will be more AOR (adult-oriented rock) than the previous one. I always kind of thought it was AOR to begin with but I guess not. So I guess it will sound more like Journey than Boston or something like that? :)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/

http://community.livejournal.com/edguysavages/
rdyfrde
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby ESTAC » 09 May 2008 17:03

rdyfrde wrote:Though the new album is called Past in Different Ways and not Different Ways :)

Right! Thank You! :cool
ESTAC
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby Tony Elfchild » 09 May 2008 19:04

ESTAC wrote:2. Timo Tolkki's new band Revolution Renaissance (6th june)

According to samples I've heard Kiske made an amazing job there (as well as Tolkki), so I have great expectations 'bout this record. And 'Last Night...' sounds pretty nice both with Kotipelto and Kiske. Time will tell...
A beer a day keeps the doctor away
Tony Elfchild
SavageNewbie
SavageNewbie

Postby Empyreal » 12 May 2008 23:27

Revolution Renaissance sound like the most boring and generic Power Metal ever aside from the vocals, and even those aren't THAT great, except for Sammet's contributions. I apparently can't hate anything he does.
In the city of evil, we touch the sky
Let the ride to Paradise begin
Empyreal
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby ESTAC » 13 May 2008 19:23

Empyreal wrote:except for Sammet's contributions.

I agree ,but Michi's vocals are very great too! They remember me a lot the Keepers era!
ESTAC
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby unifiedr » 13 May 2008 20:28

this sounds cool im going to read up on this, thanks.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Unity is in the eyes of me
unifiedr
SavageDisciple
SavageDisciple

Postby Harmon » 13 May 2008 22:22

Empyreal wrote:Revolution Renaissance sound like the most boring and generic Power Metal ever aside from the vocals, and even those aren't THAT great, except for Sammet's contributions. I apparently can't hate anything he does.

Unfortunately there isn't very much good "boring and generic" power metal coming out these days. I hope this one lives up to that billing and gives us something more along the lines of typical Tolkki style symphonic power metal. Just because it may be status quo doesn't mean that's a bad thing. :) 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby Locutus » 15 May 2008 02:48

I agree!!! Beside, I think Kiske got the perfect voice to fit with Tolkki 's style symphonic power metal. :P
Locutus

Postby Harmon » 15 May 2008 03:00

Locutus wrote:I agree!!! Beside, I think Kiske got the perfect voice to fit with Tolkki 's style symphonic power metal. :P

Indeed he does! I just hope he can avoid that whiny twang he's been singing a little bit with lately. Time will tell! ;-)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby Muppet » 15 May 2008 13:39

Harmon wrote:I just hope he can avoid that whiny twang he's been singing a little bit with lately.

I love the purity of his voice and crisp sound that cuts through everything BUT i have to admit, i love the fact that e has mixed it up with that twanginess lately.
:)

And Tolkki's stuff should suit him well. I need to go and listen to the samples.
Muppet
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby ESTAC » 15 May 2008 17:10

I've read whiny twang is the tipical way of singing for country music and I don't think Michael Kiske is singing like Garth Brooks... :roll:
In which songs do you think he is singing that way?
ESTAC
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Postby rdyfrde » 15 May 2008 17:25

Muppet wrote:And Tolkki's stuff should suit him well. I need to go and listen to the samples.

Samples of all of the songs are available here:

http://www.melodicrock.com/showcase/rev ... ewera.html

rdyfrde
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Locutus » 16 May 2008 02:14

Harmon wrote:Indeed he does! I just hope he can avoid that whiny twang he's been singing a little bit with lately. Time will tell! ;-)

Regardless even when he sing with the whiny tune... he still sounds amazing! :P I'm really looking forward to listen RR~! :D
Locutus

Postby Muppet » 16 May 2008 15:00

ESTAC wrote:I've read whiny twang is the tipical way of singing for country music and I don't think Michael Kiske is singing like Garth Brooks... :roll:

:lol:
:P
I'm just a little bit country myself!
:wink:

Hmmm, i'm not sure exactly what Harmon meant but by 'whiny twang' but i understood it as meaning that he hasn't been too clear with his voice lately. More cut, a little gritty at times and almost dirty/nasally. Less crisp and clear like normal BUT for the songs that i have heard i think it works. And it is great that he is trying to sing the lower tones. I like it.
:)

And thank you Miss Rdyfrde!
:D
Muppet
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby rdyfrde » 16 May 2008 15:37

Muppet wrote:And thank you Miss Rdyfrde!

You're welcome. Though you can call me Heather as it's probably easier to spell :lol:

rdyfrde
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Muppet » 16 May 2008 15:48

rdyfrde wrote:
Muppet wrote:And thank you Miss Rdyfrde!

You're welcome. Though you can call me Heather as it's probably easier to spell :lol:

:lol:
I know but i was just being respectful as it was very nice of you to post that link!
:P

Thank You Heather!
Muppet
SavageDiety
SavageDiety

Postby Harmon » 19 May 2008 12:09

ESTAC wrote:I've read whiny twang is the tipical way of singing for country music and I don't think Michael Kiske is singing like Garth Brooks... :roll:

In a way I think he has always come across that way to me. And of course I appreciate his talent wholeheartedly, but I think he is also fortunate to have had tremendous songs written for him through the years. For example, none of us are jumping up and down about his tremendous voice & performance on "Instant Clarity".

After listening to the Revolution Renaissance album yesterday I was very impressed with his performance, and it made me realize that if one is not touring on a year in-year out basis how strong and intact their voice can remain through the years. He sounds excellent!

And of course he has that tendency for the twang... don't you remember his Elvis impersonation on "Live in the U.K."? ;-) 8)
Harmon
Savage Administrator!
Savage Administrator!

Postby rdyfrde » 19 May 2008 16:17

Harmon wrote:For example, none of us are jumping up and down about his tremendous voice & performance on "Instant Clarity".

I am. In fact, I think he sounds better now than he did in Helloween. His voice has finally matured enough. Keep in mind that he was barely out of his teens when he recorded the two Keeper albums.

And of course he has that tendency for the twang... don't you remember his Elvis impersonation on "Live in the U.K."? ;-) 8)

Or on Helloween's version of "White Christmas" (aka "Surprise Track"). In fact, that was the very first song Michi ever sung for Helloween. Not to mention that Elvis is his biggest influence 8)

rdyfrde
SavageTyrant
SavageTyrant

Postby Sorrow » 27 May 2008 16:05

I'm a quite new fan of Kiske. A few months ago I wasn't even sure what kind of a voice does he have... Of course I'd heard him singing on both "Metal Opera"s but I guess I never really realised it was him. Then after listening to "The Scarecrow" thoroughly his voice was the one that stayed in my mind and I had to go through "The Metal Opera"s again to hear some more of his singing. :lol:

I was just listening to Revolution Renaissance samples in Myspace, can't really say a decent opinion about the music by first listening but the singing sounds good!
Pahinta on pelätä, että alkaisi pelätä.
Sorrow
SavageMaster
SavageMaster

Next

Return to Other Band Discussion!

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts